SW Florida Hurricane Preparedness
By Tanya Amo | May 09, 2023 | News
Hurricane preparedness is essential for those living in Southwest Florida as the region is susceptible to hurricane threats. Here are some resources and information to help you prepare:
- Sign up for emergency alerts: Stay informed of the latest weather updates, evacuation notices, and other emergency information by signing up for emergency alerts from your county’s emergency management agency.
- Know your evacuation zone: Southwest Florida has designated evacuation zones based on storm surge and flooding risk. Find out your zone by visiting your county’s emergency management website or calling your local emergency management office.
- Prepare an emergency kit: Your kit should include enough food, water, and medications to last for at least three days. Other essential items to include are a first-aid kit, flashlight, extra batteries, and a portable radio.
- Protect your home: Install storm shutters or purchase plywood to cover windows and doors. Trim trees and bushes to remove dead limbs and debris that could become dangerous projectiles in high winds. Secure loose outdoor items such as patio furniture.
- Plan for your pets: Make sure you have enough food, water, and medications for your pets. Identify pet-friendly shelters in advance, and make sure your pets are wearing identification tags.
- Review your insurance coverage: Make sure your homeowner’s insurance policy includes coverage for wind and flood damage.
- Have a family communication plan: Establish a plan for how you will communicate with family members in the event of an emergency. Identify a meeting place and have a backup communication plan if cell phone service is unavailable.
For more information on hurricane preparedness in Southwest Florida, you can visit ready.gov or our local government agencies:
In Charlotte County, visit charlottecountyfl.gov
In Lee County, visit leegov.com.
In Collier County, visit colliercountyfl.gov.
For more information how KOVA Companies can assist your community, contact us at 239.261.2627 or click here.